8/6/2001

“Taking a month off [for a ‘working vacation’ at his ranch in Crawford, Texas] after only six months in office, [President] Bush seemed undeterred by the criticism at the time. In a USA Today poll released on August 6 [2001]…55 percent of those questioned felt that the president was taking too much time off.”  – […]

Read More… from 8/6/2001

8/6/2001

“Contemporaneous reports on the day that [President] Bush received the intelligence report [the President’s Daily Briefing, titled ‘Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S.‘], August 6 [2001], indicated that he had broken off from work early and gone fishing.”  – Frank Rich, The Greatest Story Ever Sold, Page 47 […]

Read More… from 8/6/2001

8/6/2001

“Despite [National Security Advisor Condoleezza] Rice’s testimony before the 9/11 Commission that the Bush administration was at battle stations during the summer of 2001, in a wide-ranging and emblematic interview with Fox News on the night of August 6 [2001]–the same day that President Bush had been briefed that there were dozens of investigations into […]

Read More… from 8/6/2001

8/6/2001

Former President George W. Bush recalled, “During the summer [of 2001], I had asked the CIA to reexamine al Qaeda’s capabilities to attack inside the United States. In early August [6, 2001], the Agency delivered a Presidential Daily Briefing [PDB] that reiterated bin Laden’s long-standing intent to strike America, but could not confirm any concrete […]

Read More… from 8/6/2001

8/5/2001

“Officials…said the CIA had developed general information a month before the attacks that heightened concerns that bin Laden and his followers were increasingly determined to strike on U.S. soil after several strikes overseas. The information indicated bin Laden and his supporters ‘were trying to bring the fight to America’ but details were lacking, a U.S. […]

Read More… from 8/5/2001

8/4/2001

“FBI ‘clean teams,’ which gather evidence without using information gained during controversial interrogations, have established that [Mohammed] Qahtani intended to join the [September 11] 2001 hijackers. Mohammed Atta, the plot’s leader…went to the airport in Orlando, Fla., to meet Qahtani on Aug. 4, 2001, but the young Saudi was denied entry by a suspicious immigration […]

Read More… from 8/4/2001

8/4/2001

Alleged 20th hijacker Mohamed al-Kahtani arrived in the U.S. at Orlando International Airport on August 4, 2001. “As he attempted to go through immigration, inspector Jose Melendez-Perez grew suspicious. Al-Kahtani had no return ticket, limited funds, no hotel reservations, and he refused to identify the ‘friend’ he said was waiting for him. That friend, videotape […]

Read More… from 8/4/2001

8/4/2001

“On August 4 [2001], [lead 9/11 hijacker Mohammed] Atta drove to the Orlando airport to pick up a final hijacker, Mohamed al Khatani. Khatani was detained by INS [Immigration and Naturalization Services] officials, however, because he spoke no English, was traveling with a one-way ticket and little money, and could not explain what he planned […]

Read More… from 8/4/2001

8/3/2001

“On August 3 [2001], the intelligence community issued an advisory concluding that the threat of impending al Qaeda attacks would likely continue indefinitely. Citing threats in the Arabian Peninsula, Jordan, Israel, and Europe, the advisory suggested that al Qaeda was lying in wait and searching for gaps in security before moving forward with the planned […]

Read More… from 8/3/2001

8/2/2001

9/11 hijackers Hani Hanjour and Khalid al-Mihdhar obtained papers as official residents of Virginia on August 1, 2001. “The next day [August 2, 2001], Hanjour and al-Mihdhar made use of their new identity papers to become sponsors of ‘logistics men’ Majed Moqed and [Salim] Alhamzi. The other hijackers procured new identification papers the same way. […]

Read More… from 8/2/2001